Logli and Schnucks

Together the Families Continue a Tradition of Excellence in Grocery Industry

Joe and Irene Logli left their home in Italy and relocated to Rockford, Illinois in 1909. Within one year, the Logli's opened their first neighborhood grocery store.

One-by-one, each of their five children, Mary, Angelo, John, Nellie and Albert were drawn into the family business. Eventually, the Logli's opened stores for each one of them to manage.

The couple's second son, John, was particularly interested in the business. After graduating from the University of Illinois in 1935, he remodeled and opened his own Logli supermarket at 2019 Broadway Street. In 1955, John opened a second store at 3150 Rockton Avenue and in 1961, he opened a third at 8010 North Second Street. The Broadway Street store was temporarily closed in 1971 and reopened at a new location on East State Street.

John Logli Sr. passed away in 1986 and, together, his sons John Jr. and Joe took over the operation of the three Logli stores. John Jr.'s daughter, Mary Lynn, joined them in 1994, after graduating from DePaul University in Chicago, Illinois. This marked the entry of the fourth generation of Logli's to a career in the family business. In 1995, the East State Street store was closed and reopened down the street at 6410 East State Street.

In 1998, Schnuck Markets Inc., of St. Louis, also a family-owned business, purchased the Logli Stores. At the time of the purchase, the newest Logli store, a 140,000-square-foot facility, was under construction at 1810 Harlem Road. That store is the largest supermarket in the State of Illinois. Schnucks opened this store in 1998 after closing the one at the North Second Street location. Retaining the Logli name and combining the Logli and Schnucks philosophies of service and commitment helped to continue long-established traditions of excellence into a new era.

In February of 2000, Schnucks opened the fourth store under the Logli name at 2642 Charles Street. Schnucks recently announced plans to open a fifth Logli store in Janesville, Wisconsin in the spring of 2002.

Schnuck Markets Inc. currently operates 91 stores in Missouri, Illinois and Indiana. The family-owned company was founded in St. Louis in 1939.

Some Logli Supermarket "firsts" in Rockford:
  • Offered self service (pre-packaged) meat in 1950
  • Created a full service video department
  • Established a full liquor department
  • Became the first grocery store in the State of Illinois and the fifth in the nation to implement scan-based check-out