Contact: Marie L. McGeehan at Casey
Communications, Inc., 314/962-0944, or
Dee Wetzel at Schnucks Markets, Inc.,
April 14, 1998
Schnucks Downtown Store Associate Chosen As Checker of the Year
ST. LOUIS -- Nell Johnson, customer service cashier at the Schnucks
Downtown store and a St. Louis resident, was honored recently as the
company-wide Checker of the Year. The award was presented by Craig D.
Schnuck, chairman and chief executive officer of Schnuck Markets, Inc.,
and Scott C. Schnuck, president and chief operating officer.
The award is given each year to a checker or customer service cashier
with exceptional performance in such areas as friendliness and courtesy
to customers and co-workers; job knowledge and skill; and honesty,
integrity and respect for others. The company winner is chosen from
eight division winners. Division winners are selected from Checker of
the Year winners at each of Schnucks' 89 stores in Missouri, Illinois
Other division winners include:
- Joy Woods, checker at the Alton Schnucks, 2811 Homer Adams Parkway;
- Jada Fowler, checker at the Belleville East Schnucks, 110 Carlyle Plaza Drive;
- Brenda Pemberton, checker at the Cape Girardeau Schnucks, 19 S. Kingshighway;
- Linda Kinder, service center cashier at the Wildwood Schnucks, 16580 Manchester;
- Donna Barrett, service center cashier at the Des Peres Schnucks, 11945 Manchester;
- Carolyn Morgan, service center manager at the Lindell Schnucks, 4171 Lindell Blvd. in the Central West End; and
- Andy Zawojski, assistant service center manager at the Harvester Schnucks, 48 Plaza Ninety-Four Drive
Johnson joined Schnucks in 1995 with the National acquisition. Johnson
has been honored three times as the Downtown store Checker of the
"Nell has the kind of personality and positive attitude that allows her
to shine in all situations," says Store Manager Jerry Birke. "She
makes great contributions to our store team and always puts her
Johnson will enjoy a one-week vacation for two in Hawaii as the Schnucks
Checker of the Year. Division winners received a weekend trip for two
to the Lake of the Ozarks. All store winners received a crystal award,
a $200 Schnucks gift certificate and new name badges identifying them
as Checker of the Year.
Founded in 1939, Schnuck Markets, Inc. is a family-owned regional
supermarket company with 89 stores in Missouri, Illinois and Indiana.
- Nell Johnson is a resident of St. Louis (63107).
- Joy Woods lives in Alton, Ill. (62002).
- Jada Fowler resides in Swansea, Ill. (62226).
- Brenda Pemberton is a resident of Cape Girardeau, Mo. (63701).
- Linda Kinder lives in Wildwood, Mo. (63025).
- Donna Barrett resides in House Springs, Mo. (63051).
- Carolyn Morgan is a resident of Bridgeton, Mo. (63044).
- Andy Zawojski lives in St. Charles, Mo. (63304).