Schnuck Markets is currently the number one grocery retailer in the Midwest. We have built our reputation of friendliness, customer service and community involvement.
The tradition began in 1937 when Edwin H. Schnuck and his two sons, Donald O. Schnuck and Edward J. Schnuck, opened their wholesale meat business in North St. Louis. Edwin's wife, Anna Donovan Schnuck, also ran a confectionery shop at 3968 Labadie. Together, these locations would become the first Schnucks store in 1939.
Annette Schnuck Hanhardt, their daughter, along with Annette's Husband, Raymond Hanhardt, entered the business in 1945.
Schnuck Markets soon became established as the "Meat Masters" with excellence in meat products.
Several additional Schnuck stores were added over the years, but the largest acquisitions were Bettendorf in 1970, Kroger in 1986, and National Supermarkets in 1995.
We currently have over 100 grocery stores and our own bakery plant, trucking lines, real estate company and other supportive facilities.
Schnucks is currently being run by the sons and daughter of Donald Schnuck. Craig, Scott, Mark, Todd, Terry, and Nancy Diemer are all corporate officers.
In March of 1970 Schnucks announced the grand opening of Medi Mark, the family pharmacy at Schnucks Hampton and Gravois. This was the first combination food and drugstore for Schnucks. This was our first pharmacy location.
We have expanded to 96 pharmacies located in five states: Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Iowa Our pharmacies offer convenient, one-stop shopping with prescriptions filled while the customer shops.